Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Coalesce – Live at the First Unitarian Church

Coalesce
Live at the First Unitarian Church
19 August 2005




At the 2004 SXSW festival, I asked Agoraphobic Nosebleed vocalist and valiant Relapse employee Carl Schultz about Philadelphia’s First Unitarian Church. Relapse’s offices are located in Philly, so I figured that he would know. I wanted to know if that place was actually a church.

There used to be a club in Houston called The Vatican. Any Houstonian will tell you that many things can be found on Washington Ave., but not the real Vatican. It’s just the name of a club. I assumed that the First Unitarian Church was a similar play on words. I mean, it’s the FU Church.

I was shocked when Schultz told me that it’s a real Unitarian Church. The shock was that a church, even the Unitarians, would regularly throw death metal and hardcore shows in its basement. That wouldn’t (and doesn’t) happen in Texas. Time to convert.

In the name of the FUC, here’s a Coalesce live set recorded in said church’s basement. This was recorded in 2005 after Coalesce’s third (?) reunion. Live music rules.




Coalesce – Live at the First Unitarian Church




\m/

No comments: