Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Taproot - Gift

Taproot
Gift
Atlantic






Greetings, all. This post is the first of a three-part experiment concerning the Ann Arbor, MI rock band Taproot. Today, I'll be laying out the game plan for you while you listen to Taproot's major label debut Gift.

Gift was an unfortunate byproduct of the major label process during the peak of the CD era. The album was rushed to market following the curious adventure of Taproot's signing. The story of the bidding war over Taproot will be examined in the second part of this series when the Welcome LP gets reviewed. Trust me, it's a wild story and Fred Durst is involved. You won't want to miss it.

Getting back to this record, Gift was under-cooked when it was sent to press. It produced two minor radio hits with "Again and Again" and "I" but the rest of the album is forgettable. Then again, maybe that's exactly what Taproot is good at. On any of their albums, at least a couple of the songs will be legitimate hits but the other songs are lacking the successful elements of the hits.

Which brings me to the third part of this series. I'm going program a new tracklist combining Gift and Welcome into a single LP. What I hope to prove is, had the band and the label been patient, a focused Taproot album could have been Hybrid Theory-level successful. Am I right? We're going to find out.







\m/

No comments: