Monday, September 23, 2013

This is what passes for metal these days?

I'm going to kick off this week by ruining your Monday. Where to start...

In a world polluted with unnecessary and deceptive press releases, I found the cream of the crap this morning. Some band in Georgia called Issues (never heard of 'em) kicked out its drummer, CASE SNEDECOR. Having been kicked out of Issues, Snedecor issued (ha!) the most whiny, spoiled-brat press release in the history of mankind. The original post is here, but the portion below is the matter of concern:




*************************************************************************************************** I'm not exactly sure why I'm writing this, other than the fact that apparently I've been nothing but trash talked by my former band. I was kicked out of Issues because apparently they didn't think I was a "good enough" drummer. It was so embarrassing because for awhile I honestly believed this to be true. Well honestly, the reason I was kicked out is because I disagreed with someone in that band so much, that he said if I was in the band, he wouldn't be. The BAND told me this. He is a key writer so I got kicked out. "SUPPOSEDLY" I can't play Hooligans up to par. The most popular video of Hooligans that everyone saw live with me just so happened to be the night I was the sickest I'd ever been. So later down the road this member used it as leverage to "prove" his point. The new drummer, Josh, who was my friend, went to dinner with me after I was kicked out and told me that he was offered the position. He then asked me if I'd been paid my promised pay from the band. I said no, and he said he would make sure that happened (never did). I told him to join the band because my experience was something I could have never had elsewhere and he said "I don't know why they want me, your feet are better than mine." So I'm going to start this part by saying Josh is an unbelievable drummer. He's better than I am but he's also got 3 years on me. My house was where Issues lived while in GA and practiced. When we got home from tour, my parents had sold the house and moved to where we couldn't practice or all stay. Josh has a house with a studio. People from the band moved into his house even before I joined. Why not have your roommate play in your band? Couldn't hurt your chances of a place to stay. Also, they had nothing more to "gain" from me. I never got my royalties that I'm contracted to, merch cuts that I was promised, or even a sorry for completely screwing me out of a career. They can say I screwed myself all they'd like, but I know for fact that I can play those drum parts and I think most the people that saw me with Issues can attest to that. And to all of the doubters, I'd gladly post a video of me playing Hooligans whenever I can get a camera on me. I'm posting this because I've been BEGGED to tell the truth of my departure. It's possible they'll come back with some post about my inferiority at drums or something else insulting, but this is the honest truth and I feel much better now that I've actually written it out. Continue to support them, because I honestly believe most of them are good people. But just know that not everything is cut and dry. Don't dramatize this, just take it for what it is. I will not talk about Issues anymore on social networks, I'm done, this is me burning the bridge. I promise. I love you all. ********************************************************************************************************************




The two sections in bold were highlighted by me. Let's tackle the second section first. So, the band lived in your parent's house and, when your parents moved (presumably to distance themselves from your former horseshit band), you got kicked out so the band could then live in the new drummer's house? Is that the information I'm supposed to take away from that paragraph? Wow. That's some first-class, rich-kid bullshit. Get a job.

The previous paragraph is the one that concerns me. The "sickest" he ever played was in the video for "Hooligans?" I sincerely hope he's not talking about this video of them I found of "Hooligans", filmed in San Francisco.

Oh lord...

I see a rap-metal band with a DJ in 2013. I see a six-man line-up (just like Linkin Park). I see a rapping singer and a screaming singer (just like Linkin Park). I see a miserable excuse for avoiding 9-to-5 work (just like Linkin Park). Most importantly, I see a drummer who was mixed down by the soundman and was essentially replaced on stage with a programmed drum beat broadcast through the PA.

Being proud of that performance is like being proud of winning the bronze at the Special Olympics. Sure, you get an "A" for effort but it doesn't stand up against the real deal. Want to see some real drumming? Here's Frost from Satyricon...

Sorry if this post came across a bit harsh but the unholy combination of no talent and a sense of entitlement had me running for the nearest toilet.

No comments: