Thursday, September 26, 2013

Neurosis - Souls at Zero

The legendary Souls at Zero album by Neurosis is the latest in No Funeral new/old/banned review series. Originally, this was a test run at ripping MP3s from my own vinyl. I guess that's what pissed off Neurot Recordings Inc. to the point where they had the post removed. Just as well. There wasn't much of a review in the original text. For posterity's sake, here's what I said back then...


************************************************************************** Neurosis
Souls at Zero
Alternative Tentacles




I'm still working out the kinks in my new vinyl transfer program so, until this thing is running 100%, I'll be posting a series of classic albums. The records in this series will be ripped from the original vinyl and uploaded onto MediaFire by me. Be sure to grab these.

First up is Souls at Zero by Neurosis. It was the first vinyl 12" I ever mail-ordered. I thought it appropriate that it be the first to get ripped and uploaded.


Neurosis - Souls at Zero

. **************************************************************************

That didn't really say anything, now did it? Let's take another whack at Souls at Zero.

This album was the last time I genuinely heard a new AND original idea. Usually, when you hear a new band or song, you can trace back the influences in your head. "They sound like Pantera mixed with Travis Tritt", or something of the like. When it comes to Neurosis, where and how did they dream this up? Souls at Zero melted my brain out of my head when I was in high school and heard it for the first time. All these years later, it still stops me in my tracks. This is one of those album I have to listen to in its entirety.

I suppose that it's worth mentioning that I got to see Neurosis back in February at Emo's. Except for when they closed with "Locust Star" off of Through Silver in Blood, there was no pit. The whole crowd stood there, jaws agape, watching this band play; and play they did. It was a good mix of songs from all their album, although I don't think they played any Pain of Mind era stuff. Brent Hinds of Mastodon calls this the Neurosis Effect. If you just walked into the room, you'd immediately think the band was having a bad show; until you realize that the entire crowd is actually pay attention. Life kind of stops until the set is over. I believe hypnotic is the appropriate word.

The full album is available for streaming below. Click on it to find out what the big deal is...






\m/

No comments: