Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Strife - In This Defiance

As you may have noticed, "The Man" jumped my ass about all those free MP3s. In all honesty, that was one of the main things causing these huge delays with the No Funeral website. I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep going if a certain president and his administration were going to keep screwing with the internet, but I persevered.

This website has always been about sorting the good rock music from the ocean of garbage out there. Raising awareness is the point; not giving or getting free stuff. That means, for the most part, the gravy train is over but I still stand by my reviews. Over the next little bit, I'll be reposting the reviews taken down by "The Man" but making any necessary changes in perspective. After all, these were written over three years ago.

Today's lost review is of Strife's 1997 masterpiece
In This Defiance. Here's what I said back then...


Strife
In This Defiance
Victory




Strife was one of the original Big Three on Victory Records. They are often erroneously called the West Coast Earth Crisis. If they were anything, Strife is the West Coast Snapcase.

Maybe Strife gets compared to Earth Crisis because of their views. I never got caught up in that stuff. I do know that, musically, both Strife and Snapcase are the straightedge sons of Helmet. Of the two, Strife hits a little harder. This is due to Strife driving a dump truck full of mosh to every gig. Listening to the breakdowns of In This Defiance, I can only imagine how violent their shows were back in the 90s.

This is a pretty cool record for tough-guy mosh, but be warned. You will hate In This Defiance

Strife - In This Defiance



.


What's different now? Nothing. Strife still kicks ass. I'm not sure what I meant by the final sentence of the review; I chalk it up to being stoned at the time. Other than that, this is every bit as valid in the 2013 No Funeral universe as it was in 2009. Also, that link doesn't work (obviously) but I've got something just as good...

No comments: